Sunday, September 28, 2008

Okay, this was taken yesterday afternoon or so. It is now 4am and it looks like a summer shower off the coast of Maine. Jebus, people. I guess since the government offices announced they were closing, there are no takesies backsies in Taiwan. Whateva. Jim can barely go away for a weekend, so he is kind of freaked out right now. Interestingly enough, when we got the news last night we were both disappointed. I got a bit teary thinking about how much I miss Myles and if we could even fly out on Tuesday and all that crap. Ellen, who has barely fussed this whole time, looked at both of us and then threw a royal fit. I was the first time I really heard her cry with a mouth shaped like an O. So Jim and I have decided to be happy and realize the blessings and silver linings. Maybe if it is nice out we can go to some temples and whatnot. We really have not had much to see here so it would be nice. And, it is an extra day of just Ellen. When we get back there is Myles and work and everything else and it is so nice to just be with her in this suspended reality. Okay Ellen? Cheer up! So, Fion drove over in the morning to tell us to stay put and to warn us about government closings. I asked her if the mall was still open. She pretended not to hear me. I asked a couple of more times and then she said yes but asked me if I knew what a typhoon was. I told her I was in fact familiar with the word but was a Bostonian and used to take my Mazda GLC and follow the plows during a blizzard to get my Dunkin Donuts Regular. Take me to the mall. Now. Um, I consider my self a pretty awesometastic shopper. I enjoy walking around shops and of course having the most adorable Ellen make every baby thing look like a necessity helps. But this mall was like a mall on steroids. Miles long. Strange. And totally weird, THEY PLAYED ONE, ONE I TELL YOU TAYLOR DANE SONG OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. NO OTHER SONG. SERIOUSLY, WE WERE THERE FOR ABOUT TWO HOURS AND IT JUST LOOPED. Weirder? I can't remember the song now. Total blackout. I should check myself for tattoos and microchips.
This woman actually steamed? bread and then made an egg and tried to get us to eat it.
See how much Dad loves the mall? So happy!
This is actually a ride on toy that you put quarters on and can just zoom around the mall in, no tracks or nothing. Kind of awesome in an accident waiting to happen sort of way.
This is a place where kids take on adult jobs. The employees dress the kids in suits or police uniforms and then the adults act like the passengers or clients. I imagine there is a bank in there where small children are buying collapsed US banks. Good practice. Just so you know, these toys are made of rubber, made in Germany and FREAKING ADORABLE. Myles has a set in blue and red but don't tell Jim. He asked if we did not already have these at home and I pretended not to hear him and started singing along with Miss Dane. Something about how she did not know what love was?





Yeah, we take Ellen to the lounge. A lot.


Look at that face. If I can just focus on that face, it does not matter what else happens. Typhoon, Shmyphoon. Just look at the face.









7 comments:

Nicole said...

oh my gosh-she is just TOOO Cute!!! Oh, that looks so fun-hanging in the lounge drinking a nice glass of wine-i did that too while there. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt, not sure where you're staying-but looks nice.

Luckilly for us-the bridge to the Taipei 101 was connected to the hotel so we were able to just walk over there whenever. Although, during our typhoon the building WAS closed!
My friend and I actually took a cab to a pedicure place and had foot massages-kind of crazy!

Anyhow, hope you get home safe and sound soon and you guys get some sleep-your poor hubby looks sooo tired.
Be prepared when you come home-jet lag is rough-i wasn't expecting it-give yourself 2-3 days to get over it.

Safe travels!
nicole

Anonymous said...

How fun to follow you through the mall. You look very rested but poor Jim could use a nap or two. Poor guy.
I hope you're home before too long but enjoy the time while you're there.
xo.

Andrew said...

There is nothing more heartwarming than a smiling and happy baby. She looks like she is already home!!!!

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Your blog has been AWESOME to follow! Great pictures, fantastic commentary. Thank you, Sarah

Erica Kain said...

What is this about German toys in Taiwan... extremely cute and satisfying toys that I did NOT see in Germany itself? I am jealous of your shopping excursion. JEALOUS!!!!

I saw a lady in Safeway today who looked like you and I made up this whole pretend interaction, where we were all excited and hollering near the eggs.

I hope the weather clears. I'm with you on the Bostonian thing. Noreasters, etc. gird you against any storms in life.

Lisa said...

again, you have amused me beyond belief. Large belly rolls of laughter. Hubby looks so enthused about shopping, rather have root canal I guess? But of course Ellen is so darn cute, it does bring the sunshine in. Hope that you are able to leave soon.
LOL
Lisa R.

Chuck Morris said...

Jill ... where is this mall? Amy is already jealous and wants to make a trip there.

We made it safely to Taipei. Sorry to hear that your departure was delayed. We hope you have a safe trip back to the states.

Chuck & Amy